Libraries Offer More Than Books
Check out a kayak. Try a new board game. Take home a craft bag. If you thought libraries only offer books, it’s time you stop in and check again!
A Handy List of Available Special Items
(Lending library locations are not included because there are so many! Search “cafe library of things” in our online catalog to see a full list.)
- Adventure backpack kits
- American Girl dolls
- Cake pans
- Craft bags
- Crochet hooks
- Kayaks (with paddles and life jackets)
- Board games
- GoPro cameras
- Jigsaw puzzles
- Knitting needles
- Museum passes
- Nintendo Switches
- Outdoor lawn games
- Roku device
- Sewing machine
- S.T.E.A.M. kits
- Vegetable and flower seeds
- WiFi hotspots
- And much, much more
- How can I search for a Thing I want?
- You can search for all special items in the online CAFE catalog by typing “CAFE library of things” into the main search bar. You can then filter your search on the left sidebar by Subject or by Library. You can find specific items by searching the keyword in the catalog. For example, if you type “kayak” and choose “Three dimensional object” from the format list in the left sidebar, you’ll find the kayaks.
- Who can check out these special items?
- Anyone with a library card from a Jefferson or Waukesha county library. (How awesome is that?!)
- Is it free?
- Yes, special items (like all materials at the library) are free to anyone with a library card!
- How long can I have a special item checked out?
- The loan period depends on the library that owns the special item. Ask your librarian for specifics.
- Can I put the special items on hold?
- Usually, no. Most special items must be picked up directly from the loaning library.
- Where do I return the items?
- Most of the special items require you to return them to the library they belong to. This is different from our traditional collections of books, movies, or magazines- for those, you can return them to any library in either county.
Have more questions? Please contact your public library or email Jill at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!