About the 1000 Books before Kindergarten Program & App
It is easy to participate!
- When you begin your journey of reading 1000 books together with your child, check with your local library to see if they offer a 1000 Books before Kindergarten program. Some offer rewards when certain milestones are reached, such as giving the child a sticker when they have read 100 books or providing a certificate of completion when 1000 books are read.
- Reading to your child is key to reading for your child. We recommend you read, read, and read some more.
- Scan or manually enter the books read into the 1000 Books app. If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read to your child at library storytime, at daycare or by others also count!
- Take note of the early literacy tips when you launch the 1000 Books app, such as “Give your child choices when possible. Which book would you like to read before bed?”
- After finishing 1,000 books, your child has reached a major milestone and gets an awesome jumpstart on success in school. If you are participating in your local library’s 1000 Books before Kindergarten program, check to see if there is a final reward for completing the program. Or come up with a reward that you and your child share when you reach 1000 books read. Job well done!
Take every chance you have to read with your children, tell and talk about stories, say nursery rhymes, sing songs, and attend library programs. By reading just three stories a day you and your child will have read over 1,000 books in one year. You will also have shared many special moments along the way. The library is a fun place with books to check out, free programs, and great reading suggestions. Stop in often and talk to your friendly library staff – we are here to help.
Read our FAQ on the app!